Thursday, January 13, 2005

What does it mean to you?

I was thinking about the discussion that issues that people brought up for and against classifying Star Wars as science fiction. I think that it really depends on how each individual perceives the elements of the stories. Let me explain. Here is my basic distinction between fantasy and science fiction: elements, such as magic, which may or may not have rules but are not explained through any scientific or pseudo-scientific fashion, qualify as fantasy; elements which, however mystical and mysterious they may seem, are explained/understood in scientific terms by either the characters, the readers or both, are designated as science fiction.

Now, if a viewer watches Star Wars and believes the Episode I scientific explanation of the force, for that viewer it is an element of science fiction. However, if they believe that the force has no scientific explanation, that it is, in fact, a form of magic, the force becomes, for that individual, an element of fantasy. According to the Heinlein definition that Professor Jackson read in class, this second interpretation would automatically disqualify Star Wars as science fiction.

I don't agree with that strict of an interpretation. Personally, I think that trying to draw a rigid barrier for sci fi that includes only those pieces that have no elements of fantasy is unreasonable. The overall impression that a reader/viewer gets from the piece is far more important. That is what determines how they feel about the work and plays the greatest role in determining the audience that the work will appeal to (i.e. sci fi fans, fantasy fans, or both).

That's about all I have to say on that, for now. Let me know what you think... Also, I don't think we really paid enough attention to the question of where to draw the line between sci fi and techno thrillers/reality fiction. In my opinion, that's almost as important a question.